Dance Solo Inspiration

Dance Solo Inspiration

As a senior in high school, the application process can be very daunting. As a performing artist, it is even worse because once all of your friends have completed their apps, you still have two months of auditions to conquer. 

For anyone thinking of applying to Juilliard for dance, know that Juilliard is not looking for any specific type of dancer. Every single dancer here is completely unique and extremely different from the next.

For an audition solo, you can do literally anything. When I say anything, I mean that you can do ANYTHING.

For my solo, I did a fluid, contemporary movement piece. On the other hand, one of my classmates did a ballet variation.

One senior from last year did a dance that was part ballet, part hip-hop, and part contemporary. Anything goes with these solos.

Here’s a video from Juilliard regarding auditions solos. (check me out at 0:44!)

Here is Taylor Drury’s audition solo. She graduated from the dance department earlier this year.

My classmate Angela did a dance to a voice-over that she recorded. 

Gia did a more theatrical audition solo. Gia is now in An American in Paris, coming to Broadway this spring!

Solana, a senior, auditioned with a solo that showed off her classical technique, along with her movement quality.

My classmate Sean auditioned with this solo he also performed at YoungArts. 

I hope that you can find inspiration in these solos. Best of luck!

-Riles 

Colloquium

Colloquium

My "Day Off"

My "Day Off"