My "Day Off"

My "Day Off"

Here's a look at how I spend my one day off from school a week. 

Sunday, November 9th

• 10:00am: Wake up and make breakfast (organic eggs, grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, black beans, and diced tomatoes rolled up in a tortilla; French Press coffee)

• 10:30am: Finish my coffee while catching up on emails I missed at the end of last week. I was called for jury duty in my home state of Arizona, so I have to prove I live at Juilliard and can't do my civil duty!

• 11:30am: Head to the Farmer's Market next to the Museum of Natural History to get my fresh produce for the week. It's a beautiful day to be outside and I call my grandparents to catch up with them while I'm walking.

• 12:30pm: Stock up on groceries at Trader Joe's on 72nd Street. The line isn't too bad at this time of day, but I still spend quite a bit of time here. Favorite items I bought this week: Pumpkin Soup and White-Bean and Basil Hummus.

• 1:30pm: Make a quick lunch at home (Butternut-Squash soup from TJ's) and work on "Paradise Lost" by Clifford Odets. We're studying this play for the rest of the semester in a class and I have several things to research and characters to start analyzing. 

• 3:30pm: Run in Central Park for about 45 minutes. Luckily, I live close to the Park, so it's a great place to run when I get the chance. The colors are beautiful this time of year and lots of people are out enjoying the day.

• 5pm: After a quick shower, I head to school to work with my classmate, Haley, on a scene for our Scene Study class with Richard Feldman. I was trying to avoid going to the building today, but it was the only time we could rehearse before class tomorrow. It was fun playing with Haley; she's a wonderful actor and great scene partner.

• 6:30pm: I head to midtown to have dinner with my friend, Kathleen, from back home. She's a choreographer and director finishing some graduate studies in the city and we try to meet up from time to time. It's always nice to see a friend from home and have other things to talk about beside Juilliard!

• 8pm: Back uptown, I put my laundry in at the Laundromat around the corner from my apartment. While it's washing and drying, I read the play "Zooman and the Sign" by Charles Fuller for my American Theater History class tomorrow. 

• 9:30pm: Laundry is finished and room is cleaned up, so I start cooking for the week. I prepare all my meals for the week ahead of time on Sunday night. It's healthier and more cost effective then eating out everyday, and since I don't have the time to cook each day of the week it has to happen Sunday nights. 

The menu for this week: Rigatoni with eggplant, tomato and basil; Tri-color quinoa with curried tofu; 3-grain tempeh with sautéed zucchini, mushrooms, onion and eggplant; Italian farro with roasted peppers, sweet potatoes, garlic, carrots and onions. Since spending this past summer in Italy volunteering on organic farms, I've really gotten into cooking and trying new recipes with seasonal and locally grown produce. And I'm a vegetarian now, so I have to find creative ways of eating enough protein.

• 11:00pm: Cooking is finished and the kitchen is clean again (my roommates will be thankful). I finish off memorizing a poem for class tomorrow and get ready for bed. A few more emails and reminders for the upcoming week, and I'm ready to call it a night. 

• 12:00am: Lights out. Ready for sleep after another jam packed day! 
Dance Solo Inspiration

Dance Solo Inspiration

Room Tour!

Room Tour!