A day in the life of a musician

A day in the life of a musician

Hey everyone!

You may be wondering about what everyday life at Juilliard is like.  So I decided to take some pictures and document a very typical school day! 

I try to wake up early and get a practice room before they’re all taken!  Yes, searching for a practice room can be hard sometimes, but that is yet another reason to get up early and start the day!

Seeing beautiful Lincoln Center on your way to school, while sipping coffee, is not too bad first thing in the morning!

Then, I go to several classes. Today, I played in Studio Class for the second time.  I would be lying if I said I wasn’t terrified to play in front of the other students! But they were all very nice, and gave me very helpful comments!

Oops, gotta remember to practice piano as well, I have a midterm in piano tomorrow!!  

I also work in the library once a week, to earn some extra money.  It is a great work study, because I can do my homework, when it’s not too crowded.

The amazing thing about the library is that it literally has everything, not only all the music you could search for, tons of books and CD’s, but also concert programs throughout the years.  This week, my mom was visiting me from Iceland and she is a Juilliard alumna!  She found her own Doctoral Paper right away in one of the shelves, and the program of her solo performance with the Juilliard Orchestra since 1986! 

Usually, I eat in the Cafeteria, but since my mom was here, we went to K-Town for dinner.  It was DELICIOUS!! Even though the food in the Cafeteria is actually not that bad, it is really nice to escape every once in a while and treat yourself with NYC’s great restaurants.

At the end of a busy day, I hit the gym with some friends.  You gotta make sure to stay healthy! :)

This is pretty much what a typical day at Juilliard looks like! Practice, attend classes, practice some more,  rehearse, work, do homework …. It is very busy!  But when you have good friends to hang out with, you can manage!

Here are some funsies from my first concert with The Juilliard Orchestra!  We played John Adams, Bartok Piano Concerto No. 2 and Petrushka by Stravinsky! It was an incredible experience!  I have never had the chance to play in such a good orchestra before.  It was so much fun!

Dance Solo Inspiration

Dance Solo Inspiration

Room Tour!

Room Tour!